Wednesday, October 6, 2010

1st Post Op Appointment

Miata has her 1st post-op appointment on Friday at 9:45am. This is when Dr. Kesser will remove the packing from her ear! After that we will go to Audiology where they will perform another hearing test on Miata. Please pray that the results will be good! After the hearing test we will return to Dr. Kesser's office for more evaluations.

My original plan for this trip was to wake up very early and be on the road by 4:00 AM BUT amazingly the Lord has again blessed us when we least expected it! I had someone I work with approach me last week and ask me what my plans were for this trip. I explained that Miata's appt. was early so we would head out very early to make that appointment. Well she told me that her parents lived about an hour away and that we were more than welcome to stay there the night before so that we could get a good night's rest and then wouldn't have to leave until about 8:30 the next morning to make the appt. After talking more with Ellen (friend I work with) about this generous offer and then talking with her mom, that is now what we are going to do!! So tomorrow right after school/work Miata and I will begin our trip to VA!

I will update hopefully Friday night after we get back home. If I am too tired it may be Saturday!

A Quick Update...
Last Wednesday morning when I went to apply the Bacatracin ointment on Miata's ear I noticed a small spot that hadn't been there before. Well I didn't think much about it and just applied the Bacatracin and headed out for school/work. Then the next morning when I went to apply the ointment I noticed that same spot but now it looked like a tiny opening (hole.) I was a little concerned but thought I would just keep an eye on it. That same day (Thursday) me and the girls headed to Lexington, VA to take Kasity to see Zach at VMI. We didn't get there until late and we were tired so we went right to bed. The next morning (Friday) I again went to apply the ointment and by now the hole was even larger. So I decided to take a picture and text it to Dr. Kesser's assistant because Dr. Kesser was out of town at a medical conference (which is why I didn't try and contact him when I first noticed the spot.) Anyways, I asked Ronny if he could have another physician look at the picture and tell me whether I needed to bring her there or not, since I was in VA. Well, after the doctor's evaluation they wanted me to bring her in. So, I had to cancel the plans we had for Kasity & Zach and Miata & I headed to UVA about an hour away. Once there... the doctor that saw Miata said that it was time for the stitches in that area to dissolve which was normal but that that part of the incision hadn't healed together so when the stitches did dissolve this section re-opened. I was hoping he would put a stitch or two back in so that it would close and heal nicely but he didn't. When he was evaluating that opening/hole he was able to squeeze something out of it and he was afraid it might be a little fluid. I told him it was most likely just the Bacatracin that I had applied this morning but he said he would feel more comfortable to just leave it and let it heal the way it was to make sure there was NO fluid inside that hole. Of course I agreed even though this meant it would not heal as nicely and would now leave a much larger and uglier scar:( He also placed a strip of Steri-Tape on her ear to keep it pulled back so that the opening/hole would not get any larger (this would stay on a couple of days and then come off.) The doctor also wanted to keep Miata on her antibiotic for another week just to make sure there is no infection. Anyways, we then made our hour trip back to VMI which by this time was around 4:00 in the evening. We stayed in Lexington two more days visiting with Zach and we returned back to Wilmington Sunday night about 8:00.


Girls at VMI