Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 2 - Surgery Day!

We started our day early again, about 5:15 to assure us plenty of time to get to El Camino Hospital early so we could meet with Dr. Brent. We arrived before 6:30, checked in, and made our way to the waiting area. Shortly after Dr. Brent came in, sat with us, evaluated Miata's ear, and explained in detail what he would be doing today in surgery. Then he spent a few extra minutes just having fun with her. He commented that over the years he has performed about 2000 surgeries and couldn't possibly remember each patient but there are those certain little patients (characters as he calls thems!) that he couldn't possibly forget and that Miata with her bubbly spirit is definitely one of them! Anyways, after Dr. Brent headed to his first surgery it was about 7:30 which was time for Hertz to open. Remember I was suppose to obtain the rental car as soon as they opened! So I called and explained the change in my schedule and that we had to be here at the surgery center before they opened. I told them exactly where we were and that we now wouldn't need the car until after her recovery. I then asked if they had a driver that could pick us up and bring us to the office to obtain the car. They said sure it wouldn't be a problem to just call when we were ready.

Ok... next we just hung out in the waiting area while Dr. Brent operated on his first patient which was a little Indian boy (Middle East.) Finally it was time so we made our way back to where they prepared Miata for surgery. Sadly she forgot to bring her bunny that always goes with her into surgery. Happily the nurse brought her a bag full of tiny little animals for her to choose one. She chose a tiny little pink bunny. After all was done it was time for her to take the "happy drink!" Shortly after she went into lala land. For the next 20 minutes or so she babbled very slurringly and made little sense in anything she said. She was able to make the nurse understand she wanted the animal bag again to look through. The nurse was happy to bring it to her. She fumbled around through it barely able to keep her eyes open or even able to properly pick up and hold the little animals. Finally she had them all over the bed but she was pretty out of it! Within minutes they rolled her back to surgery. I proceeded back to the waiting room until the surgery was complete which was a bit shy of three hours. Dr. Brent then came and sat down with me, showed me pictures of what her ear now looked like, and said everything went great and again there were no problems during surgery (like always, praise the Lord.) When he stood to leave, behind him was a very large painting on the wall. I had seen it the past two times we have been here for surgery but never thought anything about it. Well, he proceeded to tell me that his wife had painted that picture while she was still in high school! Remember... they are now 70ish. In the bottom right corner of the painting was, Belinda Price 1959. This of course was before she was married to Dr. Brent which is why the last name isn't Brent (or I would have definitely questioned it the 1st time I saw it!) Anyways, everyone here at the surgery center loves Dr. Brent!! They have all commented on what a wonderful and sweet gentleman/doctor he is! Personally I think anyone who has ever met him has that exact opinion! I personally have never met anyone like him! He is very unique and is a blessing to everyone that has been fortunate enough to have crossed paths with him!

Back to Miata... next I made my way to her bedside where she was still asleep. Normally she is waking up by the time I get to her. This time she did not! She actually slept for an additional hour! She was really in lala land! Maybe they gave her a double dose of anesthesia during surgery! Or maybe she was still exhausted from the loooong day yesterday! Anyways, as soon as she awoke the first thing she said is may I please have a Popsicle!?! The last thing she said to the nurse before drifting off to lala land, "as soon as I am done I can get a Popsicle, right?" The nurse said of course you can! And so she did but not just one but three! After those three Popsicles her throat felt much better (from the anesthesia.) Anyways, now that she was awake it was time to call Hertz and so I did. Oh but wait... remember the little tiny pink bunny she chose before surgery? Well of course Dr. Brent again worked on the bunny's ear (even this teeny tiny little bunny!) So it also came out with it's bandage around it's ear!! Once Miata saw this she laughed!! She thought it was funny and said she didn't think about him doing this to the tiny little bunny! It was really cute, just had to be there to see her expression!

Ok... The saga continues...
Once on the phone with Hertz they now were telling me that they didn't realize I was actually in Mountain View City and that they couldn't send a driver that far to come get me (which is only 15 minutes away!) I explained that when I called at 7:00 this morning I specifically told them my location and the actual street address and that they told me it was NOT a problem at all! Well they apologized but said they couldn't send a driver for us but told me to please hold while they called Mountain View Hertz. Ok... they came back on the line and said someone from there would pick us up within 15-20 minutes. It was a bit longer than 20 minutes but they did arrive and all was well. Next we returned to the office for me to obtain a car. Once there the gentleman began the process but the lady next to him saw that our reservation was with the other Hertz facility and said I am sorry but we do not have any extra cars we can rent to you because we have all of ours reserved! I said "you are kidding, right!?!" She apologized again and then called the other Hertz facility. Some time later the driver then transported us to that Hertz facility! Thankfully as soon as we walked in the door the lady looked at us and said, "Oh, I remember you guys from before!" On our last trip here we went to return our rental car and this same lady was most interested in what had happened to Miata and why she had that huge bandage on her ear. So we ended up talking for quite some time about Miata's surgery. She was so amazed at what was being done to Miata's ear and in knowing/learning about this incredible doctor, Dr. Brent, who lives right here in her area! Anyways, what a blessing that she was there and remembered us! Although I'm sure it wasn't too hard! How often would a Caucasian woman with a Chinese daughter who is wearing a huge bandage on her head come walking through the door!?! lol Well, she first asked about Miata and about this surgery. After that I briefly explained our troubles in trying to obtain this rental car (since 3:00 & it was now almost 6:00 closing time for them.) She felt so bad and was kind enough to give me an upgraded car which is much much nicer than what I would have gotten. Of course I was most appreciative! Finally we were in our rental car and on our way to the house. Once there we ate dinner and just talked with Arlene, Jack, & Mary until bedtime.

Miata is doing great and has absolutely NO pain! She hasn't had even one dose of Tylenol, not even directly after surgery! That is unbelievable! How he can cut/take part of her good ear cartilage from behind that ear and then also do much work on her new ear which again results in many stitches but this time in both ears and yet her not have ANY pain what so ever just doesn't make sense but is wonderful!! Anyways, we finally went to bed a little after 10:00 PM. Miata wasn't tired earlier due to all the sleep in the hospital!

Thank you all again for your prayers for Miata and her surgery!!!